The Avondale Public Library (the “Library”) facilities, resources and services are available for the enjoyment of all. This policy has been adopted to (i) ensure the health and safety of all library staff and patrons, (ii) protect Library property and (iii) maintain order in the Library.
Disruption of library services will be addressed according to level of seriousness. At the discretion of Library staff, violations of this policy may result in one or any combination of the following: a verbal warning, letter or phone call to parent or guardian, expulsion from the Library or report to the police. If expelled from the Library, you may submit a request to the Library Manager for reinstatement. The Library Manager will automatically review cases involving expulsion periods lasting longer than a month. A request for reconsideration must be submitted on the Library’s Request for Reconsideration of Library Privileges Form.
Patrons of the Library are prohibited from:
- Obstructing the entrances, exits, restrooms and library facilities
- Using skateboards, bicycles, scooters and other wheeled toys or shoes inside the library or around entrance doors
- Bringing animals (except service animals) into the library. Service animals must be leashed and under control of the handler at all times
- Running in the building or climbing on furnishings.
- Littering or spitting
- Using cellular phones or audio equipment audible to others; making noises that interfere with other library users
- Food and beverages in non-designated areas (see Food and Beverage policy)
- Interfering with another person’s right to use the Library or with the Library Staff’s performance of their duties
- Inappropriate public displays of affection that would constitute a nuisance to a reasonable person using library services and facilities
- Loud, disruptive or inappropriate behavior that would be annoying to a reasonable person using library services and facilities
- Bodily hygiene (pervasive odors/perfume/cologne), that is offensive so as to constitute a nuisance to other patrons or staff; unsanitary belongings
- Inappropriate attire (shirt/top, pants/skirt and shoes should be worn at all times)
- Improperly using library restrooms or facilities for purposes such as bathing, shaving or washing clothes
- Lying down or appearing to be sleeping in the Library; having feet on furniture; or blocking aisles, exits or entrances
- Bringing in more than two (2) bags per person (bags can be no larger than 34” x 18” x 20”). Leaving personal belongings unattended outside of the customer’s line of sight or impeding others. Bringing in carts, wheeled luggage, or bed rolls
- Entering non-public areas of the library without permission
- Leaving a vulnerable adult or a child under the age of 8 unattended (see Unattended Child policy)
- Failure to follow instructions from staff
- Using offensive, threatening, harassing or abusive language or gestures or being disruptive to patrons or staff or intimidating others, including physical contact, sexual or verbal abuse
- Exhibitionism or flashing
- Gambling, placing or making bets, exchanging money on library property
- Soliciting, petitioning, or distributing or posting material/literature without approval on Library premises
- Tampering with or intentionally damaging computer hardware, software, printer, operation systems or other associated equipment
- Possessing, selling or being under the influence of alcohol or illegal drugs on library grounds
- Smoking or vaping on library premises
- Bringing weapons on the premises; a gun locker is available for patrons to secure their weapons
- Destroying, damaging, defacing, or illegally removing library materials or property
- Engaging in any illegal activities
NOTE: Repeat violations may result in expulsion.